God Wants You to Prosper
Scripture and tips to help your spirit blossom and flourish.
The Bible is filled with the importance of thriving. Psalm 92:12 promises, “The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree.” In Proverbs 11:28 we read, “The righteous will thrive like a green leaf.” And in his New Testament rendition, The Message, Dr. Eugene Peterson paraphrases Romans 1:17: “The person in right standing before God by trusting him really lives.”
The word “thrive” means to grow vigorously, to prosper, to progress toward or reach a goal. You know how vigorously babies normally develop. The apostle Peter challenges us with the following, “As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby” (1 Peter 2:2). And we are promised that we will prosper when we go God’s way. “They shall prosper that love you” (Psalm 122:6).
God wants us to focus on good goals and reach them. “Be like the runners in a race–run with all your might toward the goal!” (1 Corinthians 9:24-25). The book of Proverbs is filled with sound advice on how to flourish:
Laid out in chronological order so you can follow the Bible just as it happened – like a magnificent epic novel!
- “If you accept my words and store up my commands within you…you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God” (2:1, 5).
- “A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed” (11:25).
- “Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed” (16:3).
- “Blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord” (16:20).
- “He who cherishes understanding prospers” (19:8).
Think and pray about these passages. Then write down several things you are going to do in the days ahead to ensure that you will thrive.