When God Is Silent
Use this excerpt from Time Out for the Spirit to help you feel God's comfort.
READ: Men listened to me and waited, and kept silence for my counsel. Job 29:21
REFLECT: Sometimes, I get frustrated with those seemingly endless seasons when God is so silent it’s easy to doubt that He’s ever spoken at all. During those times, I try to reflect on the many ways I’ve heard God’s voice in the past, times when He has:
- directed, corrected, and loved me through the voice of a family member, a friend, a teacher or a preacher;
- guided my steps through changes in circumstances;
- spoken His forgiveness through the timely reading of a perfect passage of Scripture;
- moved me to laughter and tears through the writing of gifted authors;
- and in prayer, stopped my whirling world to sit with me in silence and fill my heart with His perfect peace.
Actually, those silences... they’re the most precious times of all.
Your one-stop spiritual first-aid kit when life challenges your patience, courage, resolve and faith.
PRAY: Thank You for trusting me with those silent seasons, Father. I’ll try to receive those silences as gifts and worship You in them.
DO: Sit in silence with God until you see Him reflected in the stillness of your heart and mind.