Mango Pesto Salad
Cool mangos add a touch of the exotic to this salad, and the pesto satisfies that craving for something savory. Try it at your next summer shindig!
I’m always determined to spice things up a bit at warm-weather get-togethers. Mango Pesto Salad is a tasty surprise every time I serve it.
|½ c. pine nuts||¼ c. pesto|
|4 mangos||12 basil leaves, ribboned|
|20 cherry tomatoes||16 small cubes mozzarella cheese|
|1 splash of lime juice||salt and pepper|
|1 tsp. honey|
1. Coat a frying pan with oil and slowly toast the pine nuts. Put aside to cool.
2. Peel mango, then stand it on cutting board, stem end down, and hold. Place your knife about ¼ of an inch from center and cut down through the mango. Flip the mango around and repeat this cut on the other side. The resulting ovals of mango flesh are known as the “cheeks.” What’s left in the middle is mostly the long, flat mango seed. Slice off any remaining fruit. Cut mango into thin slices.
3. Halve cherry tomatoes and toss with mangos in a bowl. Mix lime juice and honey together, and pour over tomatoes and mangos. Toss to coat evenly.
4. Add basil, mozzarella and pesto. Season with salt and pepper, and toss gently.
5. Divide the salad onto four plates and sprinkle pine nuts over top.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 720; Fat: 43g; Cholesterol: 60mg; Sodium: 550mg; Total Carbohydrates: 61g; Dietary Fiber: 11g; Sugars: 49g; Protein: 22g.