The celebrity chef, seen on ABC-TV's The Chew, shares her recipe for a hearty and delicious vegetarian soup.
Tomatoes and chili give this soup its color.
|2 Tbsp. canola oil||4 c. unsalted vegetable broth|
|2 large yellow onions, diced||4 c. diced tomatoes|
|½ tsp. kosher salt||5 ears corn, husks and silks removed, kernels cut off and reserved, cobs reserved|
|4 cloves garlic, chopped||Sour cream|
|1 tsp. cumin||Lime wedges|
|1 tsp. oregano||Avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced|
|1 tsp. ground Mexican chili, such as ancho||Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped|
|1 small Idaho potato, peeled and finely diced|
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add cumin, oregano and chili and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
3. Add potato, broth, tomatoes with their juices, and corn cobs. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potato is tender, about 30 minutes.
4. Add corn kernels and cook just until heated through, about 3 minutes. Discard corn cobs.
5. With blender (working in batches if necessary), puree about half of soup until thickened. It should be creamy but still have bits of vegetables throughout.
6. Stir the puree into the remaining soup. Serve with sour cream, lime, avocado and cilantro.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 320; Fat: 19g; Cholesterol: 30mg; Sodium: 590mg; Total Carbohydrates: 34g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugars: 12g; Protein: 6g.
Download your FREE ebook, The Power of Hope: 7 Inspirational Stories of People Rediscovering Faith, Hope and Love.