We’re creating a new Guideposts.org
It’s faster, it’s mobile friendly—and we’d love you to have a sneak peek. Click here to preview
A healthy and yummy breakfast recipe for the whole family
Pancakes are a classic comfort food. Whether you treat yourself to them on the weekends or make them for dinner one night, they're fluffy and delicious at any hour! Plus, they're really fun to make (if you can get the flipping part down!).
Guess what? They can be good for you too—just substitute fruit for the syrup! This recipe suggest raspberries as a topper, but you can try bananas, blueberries or strawberries as well.
1 cup buttermilk
4 eggs, separated
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 cups frozen raspberries
1. Beat the egg yolks and buttermilk with an electric mixer.
2. Clean beaters. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
3. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl until uniformly mixed.
4. Pour buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon.
5. Gently fold in egg whites until just combined.
6. Cook in non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray.
7. Place frozen raspberries in a microwave-safe dish and defrost for 1 minute, or until thawed. Garnish pancakes with raspberries.
Chef de Cuisine and registered dietitian Kyle Shadix knows good food. He's a Culinary Institute of America graduate and has an M.S. in nutrition.