Edna's Scalloped Potato Soup
Here's a hearty soup that's delicious and easy on the pocketbook.
Nothing's more pleasing in chilly weather than a bowl of hot soup, so get ready to serve seconds and even thirds of this creamy dish. It's a snap to prepare, and everyone in your family is sure to love it.
|2 tablespoons butter||1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon|
|1 large onion, diced||¼ cup flour|
|2 garlic cloves, minced||1 quart lowfat milk|
|2 celery stalks, diced||1 can evaporated milk|
|2 carrots, diced||½ pound Cheddar cheese, chopped|
|4 large potatoes, diced||Salt and pepper to taste|
|½ to 1 pound pre-cooked ham, sliced thin||¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped|
|½ cup water|
1. In a Dutch oven melt butter over medium-low heat then add vegetables and sauté.
Try Guideposts magazine Risk-Free! Get 2 Free Issues - plus a Free Gift!
2. Add ham and cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Add water and bouillon. Cover to steam until vegetables are fork tender.
4. Stir in flour, then slowly stir in both types of milk. Allow mixture to get hot, but don’t boil.
5. Stir in cheese and let melt while soup thickens.
6. Stir in salt, pepper and parsley. Serve warm.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 630; Fat, 26 g; Cholesterol, 100 mg; Sodium, 1140 mg; Total Carbohydrates, 68g; Dietary Fiber, 7g; Sugars, 20g; Protein, 31g.
Don't miss Ann's inspiring story about how she managed to nourish the congregation of her church, despite limited resources.
Download your FREE ebook, The Power of Hope: 7 Inspirational Stories of People Rediscovering Faith, Hope and Love.