Here's a satisfying and fun dish that will have the entire family coming back for more.
Here's a recipe the whole family can get into! Kids love eating these delectable meatballs, and you'll find they're happy to help in the preparation, too, as rolling these tiny treats is a lot of fun.
|2 slices fresh white bread||2 large egg yolks|
|¼ cup milk||¼ teaspoon black pepper|
|3 tablespoons clarified butter, divided||¼ teaspoon ground allspice|
|½ cup finely chopped onion||¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg|
|A pinch plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt||¼ cup all-purpose flour|
|¾ pound ground chuck||3 cups beef broth|
|¾ pound ground pork||¼ cup heavy cream|
Try Guideposts magazine Risk-Free! Get 2 Free Issues - plus a Free Gift!
1. Preheat oven to 200°F.
2. In a 12-inch straight-sided sauté pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add onion and a pinch of salt and sweat until onions are soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine bread and milk mixture, ground chuck, pork, egg yolks, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, pepper, allspice, nutmeg and onions. Beat on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Using a scale, weigh meatballs into 1-ounce portions and place on a sheet pan. Using your hands, shape the meatballs into rounds.
5. Heat remaining butter in sauté pan over medium-low heat or in electric skillet set to 250°F. Add meatballs and sauté till golden brown on all sides, about 7 to 10 minutes.
6. Remove meatballs to an ovenproof dish using a slotted spoon and place in warmed oven.
7. Once all meatballs are cooked, decrease heat to low and add the flour to pan or skillet. Whisk until lightly browned, approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
8. Gradually add beef broth and whisk until sauce begins to thicken. Add cream and continue to cook until gravy reaches desired consistency
9. Remove meatballs from oven, cover with gravy and serve. Makes 40 small meatballs.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 60; Fat, 4 g; Cholesterol, 25 mg; Sodium, 75 mg; Total Carbohydrates, 2g; Dietary Fiber, 0g; Sugars, 0g; Protein, 4g.
Don't miss Margaret's story about how she shared her faith by inviting kids into the kitchen.