Why you should drop everything and read a book to enrich your life.
Posted in , Apr 10, 2017
I’ve found my favorite day of the year–April 12 is “Drop Everything and Read Day!” “D.E.A.R.” for short. From the moment I first learned how to read a sentence, books have been one of the delights of my life, and I never have enough time to enjoy this passion. So how does reading enrich our lives?
1. Reading takes us on grand adventures—from death-defying climbs up Mt. Everest to never-to-be-forgotten moments floating down the river with Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. It’s the most inexpensive way to travel around the world.
2. Reading is the perfect way to while away an afternoon, whether it’s with your toes in the sand at the beach, curled up in front of a cozy fire with your favorite novel or sitting on the porch swing on a perfect summer afternoon.
3. Reading inspires us to become better parents, spouses, citizens or persons of faith.
4. Reading provides encouragement. There’s nothing better than reading about what others have been through and hearing that God was faithful to supply all that they needed.
5. Reading provides rest and relaxation. At the end of a stressful day, sacking out with a good book can calm us down so that we can rest.
6. Reading is a great way to bond with our children and grandchildren. Is there anything more wonderful than having a beloved child on your lap while the two of you enjoy a book?
7. Reading makes us smarter. From reading good writing, we learn about grammar and improve our vocabularies. We can also learn facts and interesting statistics and discover quotes that will impact our lives.
8. Reading draws us closer to God. A wise person will become a daily reader of the greatest book ever written. Everything we need to know is tucked inside the cover of our Bibles.
9. Reading can help you become a better writer. My love of books since I was a child carrying armloads of books home from the library each week, led to my love of words and that led to my writing books and writing for you here each week.
I read every day. It’s one of the joys of my life. When’s the last time you read a book? Maybe it’s time for you to drop everything and grab one—so that you can re-discover the sheer delight of reading.