With raspberries and whipped cream, this dessert is perfect for your Memorial Day gathering.
- Posted on May 28, 2013
Mom used tips from my grandma to make these perfect.
|2 c. unbleached flour||4 Tbsp. cold salted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes|
|¼ c. sugar, plus 1 tsp. for sprinkling||1 c. heavy cream, plus 2 tsp. for brushing|
|1 Tbsp. baking powder||1 c. fresh blueberries|
|¼ tsp. salt||raspberries for garnish (optional)|
|Grated zest of 1 lemon||whipped cream (optional|
1. Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
In 2001, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I wasn’t a good candidate for chemo. I took tamoxifen instead and gave my trouble to God—just as Dr. Peale suggested in his book, "Thought Conditioners". Since then I’ve remained cancer free. -Guideposts Magazine reader
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
3. With a pastry blender or your fingertips, work in butter until mixture is crumbly, with some pea-sized pieces of butter.
4. Add 1 cup heavy cream; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened and combined. Don’t overmix.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into an inch-thick rectangle. Spread blueberries evenly on top.
6. Gently work dough into a ball; avoid crushing the berries. Roll out again into an inch-thick rectangle.
7. Using a 3-inch star-shaped cookie cutter (or round biscuit cutter) dipped in flour, cut out shortcakes, cutting as closely together as possible.
8. Arrange shortcakes about 3 inches apart on baking sheet. Gently press scraps together, roll out again and cut more stars.
9. With a pastry brush, lightly brush tops of cakes with remaining cream and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
10. Bake until shortcakes are golden brown and somewhat firm, 25 to 30 minutes. If desired, slice cakes horizontally when cool, add a layer of whipped cream between slices and garnish with raspberries.
Makes 10 or 11 cakes.
Nutritional Information (per cake; optional ingredients not included): Calories: 240; Fat: 14g; Cholesterol: 45mg; Sodium: 270mg; Total Carbohydrates: 27g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 5g; Protein: 3g.
Don't miss Kathleen's inspiring story about rebuilding her bakery business after losing it after decades of work!