5 blessings gleaned from cleaning out the refrigerator
Posted in , Nov 14, 2016
Did you know that November 15 is “Clean Your Refrigerator Day?” I had to laugh when I read that. People are celebrating cleaning out their refrigerators? It’s a task I always dread.
But then I realized something–there are blessings lurking in that clean-the-fridge job:
1) The fact that I have food in there means that God has taken care of my needs, that He’s provided financially for me.
Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ . . . your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. (Matthew 6:31-32)
2) The fact that I need to clean out my refrigerator and throw things away means that God has given me above and beyond what I need—and that’s something I never want to take for granted.
And my God will supply every need of yours according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19)
3) The fact that I have electricity for my refrigerator means that I have a roof over my head and the funds to pay the light bill.
If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him! (Matthew 7:11)
4) The fact that I have the ability to clean out the refrigerator means that God’s given me the health to do that.
Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers. (3 John 1:2)
5) The fact that I have food in the refrigerator means that I can be a blessing to other people. I can open my home to others, providing a warm welcome, a hot meal and fellowship. Or I can fix a meal, a platter of cookies or a casserole for someone who is going through a hard time.
Use hospitality one to another without grudging. (I Peter 4:9)
Since it’s actually time to clean out my refrigerator, I think it will be a much different task now as I focus on the blessings sitting in there instead of the drudgery of the job. Join me today in thanking Him for the gift of cleaning out our refrigerators!