The perfect treat for those summering in Cape Cod—and those who wish they were.
Posted in , Jun 12, 2012
|2 c. fresh or frozen cranberries (thawed)||4 c. sugar|
|1 cinnamon stick||2 c. heavy whipping cream|
|1 tsp cardamom||1 c. orange juice|
|½ c. water||½ c. lemon juice|
|4 c. whole milk|
1. In a large saucepan, cook the cranberries, cinnamon stick and cardamom in the water over medium heat until berries pop. This will take about fifteen minutes.
2. Strain; discard seeds, skins and cinnamon stick. Cool the berry mash completely.
3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat milk to 175°, stirring constantly so it doesn’t scorch.
4. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Cool.
5. Stir in the cream, juices and cranberry mash.
6. Pour into ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. If you have more mixture than your ice cream maker can hold, refrigerate the leftover mixture until you’re ready to freeze.
7. Allow the ice cream to harden in the freezer for 2-4 hours before serving.
Makes 12 one-cup servings.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 370; Fat: 17g; Cholesterol: 60mg; Sodium: 45mg; Total Carbohydrates: 59g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 55g; Protein: 3g.
Read David Morris' introduction to the Secrets of Mary's Bookshop mystery series from Guideposts Books.