Here's a warm and hearty way to start your day.
- Posted on Sep 5, 2013
This recipe was created by Sue Gray's students, a group of recovering addicts to whom she taught cooking skills as they put their lives back together. The dish is sure to spice up your day!
|1 jalapeño pepper||1 can diced tomatoes with juice|
|1 Tbsp. garlic, finely diced||1 c. fresh cilantro, chopped|
|1 c. onion, diced, plus ¼ cup finely diced||½ tsp. chili powder|
|1 Tbsp. olive oil||Salt and pepper|
|4 small red or Yukon gold potatoes||Dash of pepper|
|3 Tbsp. vegetable oil||4 burrito-sized tortillas|
|6 eggs||½ c. pepper-jack or marbled jack cheese, grated|
|4 Tbsp. milk||¾ c. ham or cooked bacon or sausage, diced|
|¼ tsp. salt||½ c. salsa|
1. Roast the jalapeño pepper on a grill or in a pan on stovetop till browned and soft. Remove seeds and chop.
2. Sauté jalapeño, garlic and 1/2 cup of onion in oil till brown, about 10 minutes.
3. Blend sautéed vegetables and can of tomatoes, including liquid, in blender, until you have salsa consistency (do not over-blend to sauce consistency). Pour into a bowl.
4. Add chopped cilantro, 1/4 cup onion and chili powder; stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
1. Peel and thinly slice potatoes. Cook in skillet with oil until done. Set aside.
2. Whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper together in bowl. Scramble eggs in skillet over medium heat until done.
3. Warm tortillas on stovetop griddle over medium-high heat about 30 seconds per side, or microwave 10 to 20 seconds.
4. Place a tortilla on a plate and spoon a quarter of the cooked potatoes in the middle, spreading about 3 inches wide. Leave 3 inches at bottom for fold.
5. Top with a quarter of the scrambled eggs, 2 tablespoons shredded cheese, 3 tablespoons cooked meat and 2 tablespoons salsa.
6. Fold one side in, then fold bottom up, fold second side in and wrap a paper towel around closed end to help keep juice from dripping down.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 770; Fat: 40g; Cholesterol: 315mg; Sodium: 1980mg; Total Carbohydrates: 71g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugars: 3g; Protein: 25g.
Don't miss Sue's inspiring story about sharing her kitchen skills with a group of recovering addicts.
Download your FREE ebook, The Power of Hope: 7 Inspirational Stories of People Rediscovering Faith, Hope and Love.