This muffin recipe is the product of Mary Lou Carney changing her focus from fretting over calories and fat content and concentrating instead on healthy eating.
- Posted on Jan 18, 2018
|2 c. whole wheat flour|
|¾ tsp. baking soda|
|¼ tsp. salt|
|1 tsp. cinnamon|
|½ c. firmly-packed light brown sugar|
|¼ c. canola oil|
|1 large egg, lightly beaten|
|½ c. low-fat buttermilk|
|1 tsp. vanilla extract|
|3 medium-sized ripe bananas, mashed|
|1 c. ground flax seed|
|1 c. chopped walnuts|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pans with paper liners.
In 2001, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I wasn’t a good candidate for chemo. I took tamoxifen instead and gave my trouble to God—just as Dr. Peale suggested in his book, "Thought Conditioners". Since then I’ve remained cancer free. -Guideposts Magazine reader
2. Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Stir in brown sugar.
3. In a medium bowl, combine oil, egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Add these ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir in mashed bananas.
4. Add flax seed and walnuts.
5. Spoon into muffin pans, filling cups to near top. Bake 12-18 minutes, until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.
Makes 6-8 large muffins or 12 small ones.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 430; Fat: 22g; Cholesterol: 25mg; Sodium: 240mg; Total Carbohydrates: 53g; Dietary Fiber: 10g; Sugars: 20g; Protein: 11g.