This dish, a dessert popular in the French Limousin region, is a low-sugar treat.
Nov 25, 2013
|4 large eggs||1 tsp. vanilla extract|
|½ c. plus 2 Tbsp. sugar (or 12 packets of
|1 apple, peeled, quartered and cored|
|pinch of salt||½ c. raisins|
|½ c. all-purpose flour||1 Tbsp. unsalted butter plus more for baking dish|
|1 ¼ c. milk||confectioner's sugar|
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter a 10-inch tart dish or 9½-inch pie plate.
2. In a bowl, combine eggs, ½ cup sugar or sugar substitute, and salt, until well mixed. Whisk in flour, milk and vanilla.
3. Cut apple into thin slices. Place over bottom of dish in concentric circles. Gently pour egg mixture over apple. Scatter raisins over mixture.
4. Cut butter into small bits and sprinkle over the batter. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar on top.
5. Place dish on baking sheet and bake until puffed and golden brown around edges, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on rack.
6. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
7. Serve cut into wedges, at room temperature or chilled. Store in refrigerator.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 180; Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 1150mg; Sodium: 80mg; Total Carbohydrates: 30g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 24g; Protein: 5g.
Don't miss Paula's inspiring story about helping her father deal with his newly diagnosed diabetes.
Download your FREE ebook, The Power of Hope: 7 Inspirational Stories of People Rediscovering Faith, Hope and Love.