Here's a classic Turkish dessert you can make at home.
Jan 27, 2014
This recipe helped Nursel to win over not only her husband's new American friends, but also his Turkish brothers.
|1 ½ c. walnuts||1-lb. package phyllo dough (12x17-inch sheets), room temperature|
|½ c. sugar||2 sticks unsalted butter|
|1 Tbsp. cinnamon|
|1 c. sugar||2 Tbsp. lemon juice (fresh or bottled)|
|1 c. water|
1. Preheat over to 400° F.
2. To make syrup, combine all ingredients in saucepan. Place over high heat until boiling. Let simmer until reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Refrigerate or let cool.
3. In food processor, finely chop walnuts, sugar and cinnamon. Set mixture aside.
4. Melt butter in bowl. Brush sides and bottom of a 9x13-inch pan with melted butter until evenly coated (using a disposable aluminum pan makes it easier to remove pieces when done).
5. With kitchen scissors, cut phyllo dough pastry sheets in half to fit the pan. Line the pan with first pastry sheet. Very lightly brush top of sheet with butter, then add another sheet on top. Continue adding and brushing sheets until half the dough is gone (20 to 28 sheets, depending on brand of phyllo).
6. Spread walnut mixture on top (shake pan so it spreads evenly). Cover with another pastry sheet, brush with butter, add another sheet. Continue until dough is finished. Brush last pastry sheet with enough butter so top of baklava isn’t dry.
7. With a sharp knife, cut deep vertical lines—two inches apart—all the way through baklava. On an angle, cut lines across to create diamond-shaped pieces. Cover bottom of pan with aluminum foil so butter doesn’t drip out of cuts. Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Remove from oven and drizzle syrup on top, evenly coating each piece. Syrup must be cold and baklava hot in order to get desired results. Cover pan with aluminum foil and refrigerate 1-2 hours.
Makes about 30 pieces.
Nutritional Information (serving size: 1 piece): Calories: 180; Fat: 11g; Cholesterol: 15mg; Sodium: 85mg; Total Carbohydrates: 20g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 9g; Protein: 2g.
Don't miss Nursel's inspiring story about discovering herself through the joys of baking!
Watch our exclusive how-to video of Nursel making baklava!
Download your FREE ebook, The Power of Hope: 7 Inspirational Stories of People Rediscovering Faith, Hope and Love