Here's a delicious dessert that is inspired and influenced by chef and author Lidia Bastianich's Italian heritage.
- Posted on Nov 27, 2018
12 chocolate graham cracker sheets
|3 Tbsp. sugar|
|2 Tbsp. instant espresso|
|pinch kosher salt|
|5 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled|
1 qt. coffee ice cream
|2 c. heavy cream|
|2 Tbsp. sugar|
|1 c. sour cream|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a food processor, grind together the graham crackers, sugar, instant espresso and salt to make fine crumbs.
2. With the processor running, add the melted butter and process just to combine.
3. Press the crumbs into the bottom and up the sides of an 8-inch pie plate, making sure the crumbs are evenly distributed.
4. Bake until the crust is crispy, 10 to 12 minutes, then cool completely before filling.
5. Remove the ice cream from the freezer to soften it a bit while you make whipped cream. In a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream and sugar to soft peaks. Add the sour cream, and whisk until it is just combined.
6. Freeze overnight (wrap tightly in plastic to keep the taste fresh) or until the cream is frozen. To serve, cut with a sharp knife dipped in hot water.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 550; Fat: 40g; Cholesterol: 115mg; Sodium: 250mg; Total Carbohydrates: 43g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Sugars: 27g; Protein: 6g.
Copyright © Diana DeLucia; recipe from Lidia's Mastering the Art of Italian Cuisine by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich and Tanya Bastianich Manuali, © 2015 by Tutti A Tavola, LLC, by permisison of Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Penguin Random House, LLC.
Check out more about Lidia, considered America’s grande dame of Italian cooking, in her book, My American Dream: A Life of Love, Family and Food.