These chocolate-covered cherries are a favorite holiday tradition for the Cooley clan.
- Posted on Dec 5, 2012
On holidays our family looked forward to Mom’s homemade chocolate-covered cherries. After she passed my family and I wanted to carry on the tradition, but we couldn’t find Mom’s recipe anywhere. We tried one from the internet, but the results were a disaster.
Then, a few weeks after our botched candy-making escapade, we got a letter in the mail. A family friend had run across some recipes from my mother, and thought we might like to have them. There was a copy of Mom’s chocolate-covered cherry recipe—in her very own handwriting! What a sweet surprise.
|1 stick butter||1 tsp. vanilla|
|2 pounds powdered sugar||3 10-oz. jars maraschino cherries|
|1 14-oz. can Eagle condensed milk||1 2 ½-lb. package Ghirardelli Chocolate
Candy Making & Dipping Bar
1. In a large glass container combine butter, powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Refrigerate overnight (do not cover).
2. Drain cherries. Roll out nougat.
3. Flatten nougat into small circles (2 inches in diameter), place one cherry in center of each circle, and roll nougat into a ball with the cherry in the middle. Keep hands dry to prevent sticking.
4. Cover two large baking sheets with wax paper. Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Use toothpicks to dip cherries into chocolate.
5. Place cherries on paper and drizzle remaining chocolate on top. Refrigerate 24 hours.
Makes approximately 60 cherries. Serving size: 3 cherries.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 660; Fat: 27g; Cholestrol: 25mg; Sodium: 95mg; Total Carbohydrates: 105g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 102g; Protein: 5g.
Download your FREE ebook, The Power of Hope: 7 Inspirational Stories of People Rediscovering Faith, Hope and Love.