These delectable treats make the perfect Christmas gift for friends and family!
Posted in , Nov 12, 2013
Thanks to this delicious recipe, going gluten-free needn't mean missing out on tasty cookies during the holidays!
|½ c. sliced almonds||½ c. almond flour|
|1 c. candied red cherries||½ c. white rice flour|
|3 c. tapioca flour||1 ½ c. sorghum flour|
|½ c. butter||1 c. cornstarch|
|1 ½ c. sugar, plus ¼ c. for topping||1 ¼ tsp. salt|
|2 tsp. anise seed||1 tsp. baking soda|
|1 tsp. zested orange peel (1 large or 2 small oranges)||2 tsp. guar gum|
|1 tsp. vanilla||2 Tbsp. brandy (optional)|
|4 eggs, plus 1 egg white; reserve a second
egg white for brushing
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a pan, dry-roast almonds only until light tan; remove from heat.
3. In a small bowl, lightly coat candied cherries with tapioca flour. Using kitchen scissors, snip cherries in half. Set aside.
4. Melt butter and pour into large mixing bowl. Add sugar, anise, orange zest and vanilla. Cream together using mixer
5. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well. Add additional single egg white.
6. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add slowly to mixing bowl mixture as it turns.
7. Stir in almonds and tapioca-floured red cherries. If desired, add brandy for flavor.
8. On floured surface, work with a third of the dough at a time. Generously pat tapioca flour atop the dough and form a 4-inch-wide, inch-thick loaf.
9. Move first loaf to cookie sheet with a spatula. Pat it back into shape once on the parchment paper. Repeat process with second loaf, leaving room between loaves for expansion. Form third loaf and move to other baking sheet.
10. Brush tops with egg white, sprinkle with sugar. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Loaves should crack across the top and darken.
11. Remove. Reduce oven heat to 225°F. Cut loaves at slant into approximately inch-wide biscotti slices. Using blade of a wide knife, place slices on their side and sprinkle with sugar.
12. Bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly brown, turning over once during the process. Watch for desired crispness—these are intended to be softer than hard biscotti and they will continue to cook while cooling in the pans.
13. When cool, package in an airtight container or festive bags.
Makes about 40 cookies.
Nutritional Information (per cookie, including optional brandy): Calories: 140; Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 30mg; Sodium: 75mg; Total Carbohydrates: 25g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 8g; Protein: 2g.
Don't miss Jennifer's inspiring story about coming to terms with her sensitivity to gluten!