Decadent brownies to add to your plate of holiday cookies!
- Posted on Oct 21, 2009
Mint, chocolate, chewy, decadent, and simply delightful…those are just a few words to describe these sumptuous treats.
If only we could bottle the smell of them baking!
¾ cup chopped walnuts
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 large candy canes, crushed into pieces
8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons whole milk
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. To make the Brownies: Grease an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan. Line the bottom of the pan with aluminum foil, allowing extra to hang over the sides.
3. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and bake until toasted and fragrant, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
4. In a double boiler over barely simmering water or in a metal bowl over a saucepan filled with 1 inch of hot water (Creating your own double boiler), melt the butter and chocolates together, stirring often. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
5. Stir in the granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt until well blended. Whisk in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the flour until well blended. Stir in the walnuts.
6. Spread in the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. The top should be puffy and shiny and cracked. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 1 hour.
7. Lift the contents from the pan using the foil and invert onto a plate. Carefully remove the foil and turn the cake right-side up. Cool.
8. To make the Frosting: In a medium bowl, blend the powdered sugar, butter, and milk until creamy.
9. Spread the brownies with the frosting, then sprinkle with peppermint pieces and chocolate chips. Chill for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cut into 20 small squares.
Makes 20 small brownies