A quick, easy and inexpensive meal that won't hurt that resolution to cut the fat.
- Posted on Dec 13, 2010
Cheap and delicious, this dish will satisfy your family—and makes good leftovers too!
Plus, if your New Year's resolution is to cut the fat, this recipe is the perfect fit.
|1 c. uncooked rice||2 tsp. olive oil|
|1 c. onion, diced||3 garlic cloves, minced|
|3 lbs. lean ground beef or turkey||1 tsp. salt|
|½ tsp. ground black pepper||1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped|
|2 tsp. curry powder||1 tsp. ground cumin|
|1 14-oz can light coconut milk||2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped|
1. Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion and garlic; cook 2 minutes.
3. Add beef and cook 5–7 minutes, until meat is browned and cooked through, breaking up meat as it cooks.
4. Add salt and pepper and stir. If necessary, drain away any fat from the bottom of the pan. Remove ⅔ of the beef (about 5 cups, leaving about 2½ cups in the pan) and set aside extra beef for additional meals.
5. To the beef in the pan, add red bell pepper, curry powder and cumin; stir. Cook 1 minute, until curry is fragrant.
6. Add coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer 3–5 minutes, until sauce reduces and thickens slightly, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in fresh cilantro.
7. Spoon rice onto a serving platter and spoon beef curry over top.