Tomato, pesto and pastry bring this tart to life.
This tart is so inviting and so satisfying. When dolloped with fresh pesto, it makes a lovely dish for any occasion.
You can even slice it up and serve at a party or celebration!
|2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed||2 large egg yolks|
|2 tsp. corn oil||2 tsp. water|
|4 ripe tomatoes||½ tsp. extra-virgin olive oil|
|½ tsp. sugar||Freshly ground black pepper|
|½ c. pesto|
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400°F.
2. Place pastry on lightly floured surface. Using a salad-size plate as a guide and a knife, trim sheets to form 8-inch rounds. Transfer rounds with a spatula to ungreased baking sheet. Prick pastry all over with a fork.
3. Whisk egg yolks, corn oil and water together in a bowl to make a wash. Brush the wash lightly over pastry.
4. Leaving a ½-inch border around the edge, arrange tomato slices in overlapping circles on rounds, covering the surface. Drizzle each tart with olive oil, sprinkle with sugar, season with pepper.
5. Bake until tarts are golden and tomatoes are caramelized, about 25 minutes. Serve immediately, with pesto on the side for dolloping.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 560; Fat: 42g; Cholesterol: 215mg; Total Carbohydrates: 40g; Protein: 11g.