This dish is flavorful and good for you!
Posted in , Jul 1, 2008
I love to create healthy recipes that taste delicious. In putting together my book, One Bite at a Time, the miso salmon with lime-ginger glaze and the jicama (pronounced jee-ka-mah) salad were two of my favorite recipes. They go so great together!
The flavors in the salmon dish compliment one another: the touch of sesame oil provides fat (unsaturated, the good kind), the lime contributes the acid that unlocks the salmon's flavor, the miso gives a hint of salt and the mirin (a Japanese sweet rice wine) adds a gentle flavor.
I think you'll enjoy this tasty meal!
|3 Tbsp. white miso||1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated|
|3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice||1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil|
|¼ c. mirin (sweet Japanese cooking wine)||4 (4 oz.) wild salmon filets, pin bones removed|
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Whisk together miso, lime juice, mirin, ginger and sesame oil in a bowl.
3. Put salmon in a baking dish, pour half the marinade over salmon and turn to coat well. Reserve remaining marinade.
4. Marinate salmon in fridge for at least 1 hour.
5. Place salmon in a baking dish with its marinade and ¼ cup of water. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or a few minutes longer if fillets are thick.
6. In a saucepan, heat reserved marinade over medium heat until it starts bubbling.
7. When salmon is cooked, pour marinade over fillets and serve immediately.
Per Serving: 256 Calories, 9 grams Total Fat (1 G SAT, 3 G MONO), 10 grams Carbohydrates, 27 grams Protein, 0 grams Fiber, 409 mg. Sodium
You can grill this dish too, but use caution: The marinade can burn easily if grill is too hot. Before grilling, wipe marinade off salmon, rub the salmon with a teaspoon of sesame oil and wipe grill with sesame oil. Grill salmon over slow heat for about 4 minutes each side. Serve with Jicama Salad.
For more recipes and inspiring stories, subscribe to Guideposts magazine.
From One Bite at a Time: Nourishing Recipes for Cancer Survivors and Their Friends by Rebecca Katz with Mat Edelson. Copyright © 2004 by Rebecca Katz. Published by Celestial Arts, an imprint of Ten Speed Press.