Try this incredibly flavorful vegetable stew, perfect for fall!
Posted in , Mar 29, 2011
This is an incredibly flavorful stew, using a potent combination of ground spices to flavor an array of vegetables and legumes.
Serve over a bed of couscous.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp minced ginger
1 cup diced onion
1½ cups diced leeks, white and light green parts only
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp Curry Spice Blend
2½ cups diced pumpkin (peeled)
½ cup diced zucchini
3½ cups Vegetable Broth
1¾ cups diced eggplant (peeled)
½ cup small-dice carrot
½ cup diced celery
½ cup currants
¼ cup tomato purée
¹⁄³ cup cooked chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
¹⁄³ cup cooked fava beans (drained, rinsed, and peeled)
1 tbsp lemon juice
¼ tsp kosher salt
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
2. Add the ginger, onion, leeks, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, over low heat until the onions are limp and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the spice blend and sauté until aromatic, about 1 minute.
3. Add the pumpkin, zucchini, and just enough of the broth to cover the vegetables, and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
4. Add the eggplant, carrot, celery, currants, tomato purée, and the remaining broth and simmer until all the vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
5. Stir in the chickpeas and fava beans. Season with the lemon juice and salt. Cover and cook until heated completely. Garnish with the lemon zest.
Preparing Ginger (284),Cleaning Leeks (120),Stewing and Braising vegetables (125), zesting and juicing citrus (284), cooking dried legumes (95), boiling, blanching, and parboiling vegetables (123)
Makes 6 servings
From Healthy Cooking at Home with The Culinary Institute of America; Wiley 2011; reprinted with permission by the publisher.