This healthy and tasty recipe for Roasted Ginger Salmon is one of Rebecca Katz's faves.
The right ingredients in a meal can have a positive impact on mood and memory. I know, because of the research I did after my father died of dementia in his 80s. For The Healthy Mind Cookbook, I created 125 big-flavor recipes to enhance brain function. Top this delicious dish with Pomegranate Olive Mint Salsa for an extra burst of flavor!
Fish continues to cook for several minutes after you take it off the heat, so be careful not to overcook!
|Roasted Ginger Salmon|
|½ c. freshly squeezed orange juice||½ tsp. freshly minced ginger|
|2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice||Pinch of cayenne pepper|
|2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice||4 (6 oz.) salmon fillets, pinbones removed|
|Zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon||Sea salt|
|1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil||1 tsp. Dijon mustard|
Pomegranate Olive Mint Salsa
|1 c. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley||2 scallions, minced|
|¼ c. finely chopped mint||1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil|
|½ c. kalamata or green olives, chopped||Freshly squeezed lemon juice|
|¼ c. finely chopped fennel||½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper|
|¼ c. pomegranate seeds||Sea salt|
|¼ c. chopped walnuts, toasted|
1. In a bowl whisk orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, orange zest, lemon zest, olive oil, ginger and cayenne.
2. Place salmon in baking dish and season each piece with a pinch of salt. Pour half the marinade over salmon and turn to coat well. Cover baking dish and marinate in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove salmon from refrigerator, uncover and add 2 tablespoons water. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of fillets, until tender and opaque and an instant-read thermometer in the center of a fillet registers 120°F.
4. While salmon is cooking, combine reserved marinade and mustard in saucepan over medium heat, and simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Pour reduction over fillets.
1. Put parsley, mint, olives, fennel, pomegranate seeds, walnuts, scallions, olive oil, 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, black pepper and a pinch of salt in a bowl and stir gently to combine.
2. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
3. Dollop on top of salmon fillets for extra flavor.
Nutritional Information (salmon without salsa): Calories: 290; Fat: 14g; Cholesterol: 95mg; Sodium: 105mg; Total Carbohydrates: 5g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 3g; Protein: 34g.