This chili, full of fiber and antioxidants, is hearty and healthy.
Posted in , Aug 18, 2013
A man’s relationship with his chili recipe is a serious matter. But I’m willing to share my vegetarian chili with anyone. The veggies and spices remind me of a fall farmer’s market. So dig in! Nothing should stand between a man and his chili.
|2 Tbsp. olive oil||2 32-oz. cans black beans|
|1 large white onion, chopped||1 16-oz. can golden corn|
|1 bulb garlic, finely chopped||1 c. vegetable stock|
|1 large red bell pepper, chopped||½ bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce|
|3 packages baby bella mushrooms, washed
and coarsely chopped
|¼ c. of your favorite hot sauce|
|2 heaping Tbsp. chili powder|
|1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes||2 heaping tsp. cumin|
|1 16-oz. can lentils||2 tsp. cayenne pepper|
|1 16-oz. can kidney beans||2 Tbsp. honey|
1. Add olive oil to the bottom of a large pot and turn heat to medium-high.
2. Once the oil is heated, add chopped onion and cook until nearly translucent. Add garlic and simmer another minute or so.
3. Add bell pepper and mushrooms, simmering for a few minutes.
4. Stir in all remaining ingredients. Turn heat to high until chili starts to bubble. Don’t forget to keep stirring.
5. Once it starts bubbling, turn heat to low and let simmer for an hour. Stir occasionally.
Serves 12 to 15.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 320; Fat: 4.5g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 1320mg; Total Carbohydrates: 54g; Dietary Fiber: 12g; Sugars: 14g; Protein: 14g.