These delicious biscuits are one of Dolly Parton's favorite additions to holiday meals.
Posted in , Oct 7, 2013
|2 c. all-purpose flour, plus extra as needed||1 tsp. salt|
|¼ tsp. baking soda||5 Tbsp. lard or vegetable shortening|
|1 Tbsp. baking powder||1 c. buttermilk|
1. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Cut in the lard with a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.
2. Add the buttermilk and gently mix with your hands until thoroughly combined. If the dough is too tacky, add a bit more flour.
3. Knead the dough for 2 minutes. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 20 minutes.
4. reheat the oven to 450°F. Roll the dough out onto a clean, lightly floured surface to 1/2 inch thick.
5. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter or an overturned glass, cut out the biscuits. It’s okay to reroll the scraps to cut more biscuits.
6. Bake on an ungreased baking sheet until golden brown, 13 to 15 minutes.
7. The biscuits can be wrapped tightly and frozen up to 2 weeks.
Makes 2 dozen biscuits.
Nutritional Information (using vegetable shortening): Calories: 70; Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 190mg; Total Carbohydrates: 8g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Sugars: 0g; Protein: 2g.
Download your FREE ebook, The Power of Hope: 7 Inspirational Stories of People Rediscovering Faith, Hope and Love.