A spicy soup to warm you on those cold winter days
Posted in , Dec 11, 2008
2 teaspoons olive oil
½ cup chopped yellow onion
½ cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups cubed leftover cooked turkey (about 12 ounces)
4-ounce can diced green chilies
2 bay leaves
1 cup frozen corn
1 ripe avocado, pitted and diced
4 ounces baked tortilla chips, broken into 1-inch pieces
1. Heat oil in pan over medium heat.
2. Add onion, celery, carrots; cook 3 minutes, till soft.
3. Add thyme, cumin, salt, pepper; stir. Cook 1 minute, till thyme and cumin are fragrant.
4. Add broth, tomatoes, turkey, chilies and bay leaves; boil. Add corn; return to boil.
5. Reduce heat to low; cover; simmer 10 minutes.
6. Remove bay leaves; serve; top with avocado and chips.