Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you?—1 CORINTHIANS 3:16 NIV
You’re busy. So trying to squeeze exercise into your day seems to be an impossible task. But physical activity is an investment that pays immeasurable dividends. Here are five reasons why daily exercise is a wise idea:
1. It’s a great stress reliever. Exercise fights depression, in part because it releases chemicals in our brain that make us feel good.
2. It’s good for your body. Obesity, heart trouble, diabetes, high blood pressure…you may be caring for someone who is suffering the effects of one of these diseases. Being ill is no fun—plus it’s expensive, time-consuming, and robs joy from your life. Squeeze in just three ten-minute sessions of exercise every day to help ward off disease.
3. It’s easy. Getting enough exercise can be as simple as parking farther away from the grocery store, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or doing some crunches in front of the television. With a little creativity and resourcefulness, your exercise options are virtually unlimited.
4. It improves your energy level and your quality of sleep. People who exercise have more energy when they’re not exercising and sleep better when their head finally hits the pillow. Who wouldn’t benefit from that?
5. It honors God. God’s Word calls our bodies “temples.” He has entrusted these temples into our care, and when we care for our bodies, we are being good stewards. We demonstrate our thanks for this magnificent creation.