Throughout the centuries, biblical texts have offered comfort for illness, trouble and despair.
Posted in , Sep 27, 2017
When I was a child and ill, my mother cared and prayed for me. Her prayers were always a part of the remedy. Now, I too turn to prayers when friends and family are need healing for the body, mind and spirit. Recently, a member of our family was diagnosed with a faulty heart valve that required open heart surgery. When his wife informed the family via text, many responded “praying for his healing.”
In times of need, where can we turn for encouragement and prayer support? One place is the Bible. It’s filled with passages to increase our faith and encourage us to pray when we or someone we know is ill. Throughout the centuries, men and women found solace, healing and strength in the biblical texts that call out to God when their bodies and minds fell to illness, troubles and despair. And we too can use them in prayer today. The following are a few of the many biblical texts to turn to for healing:
1. “…I am the Lord who heals you.” (Exodus 15:26)
2. “I will restore you to health and heal your wounds ‘declares the Lord…” (Jeremiah 30:17)
3. “As a mother comforts her child, so I will comfort you;…” (Isaiah 66:13)
4. “…Jesus graciously welcomed them and talked to them about the kingdom of God. Those who needed healing, he healed.” (Luke 9:10-11)
5. “Lord, you know how I long for my health once more. You hear my every sigh.” (Psalm 38:9)
6. “Yes, I will bless the Lord and not forget the glorious things he does for me. He forgives all my sins. He heals me.” (Psalm 103:2-3)
When illness wears us down and depletes our energy, let us not forget that the Lord is the healer and provider of our needs. If you or someone you know is in need of healing, click here to submit your prayer request. What is your favorite biblical text for healing? Please share with us.
Lord, we praise You for our healing and strength.
More Bible Verses for Healing