Looking for a rib-sticking dinner to start your family's week off right? Look no further!
- Posted on Dec 18, 2012
This hearty dish is so delicious, you'll look forward to enjoy the leftovers on Tuesday night.
|1 tsp. olive oil||4 large carrots, peeled and thickly sliced|
|2 tsp. minced garlic||3 bay leaves|
|1 tsp. dried thyme||3 tbsp. tomato paste|
|1 tsp. coarse salt||1 c. low-sodium beef or chicken broth|
|¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper||1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in juice or puréed|
|1 first-cut beef brisket (4 to 5 pounds)||1 c. red wine, or an additional cup crushed tomatoes or broth|
|2 c. chopped onions||2 tbsp. finely chopped Italian parsley, for garnish|
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Place olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl and stir. Rub mixture all over brisket.
2. Place brisket, fat side up, in a large casserole Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid. Toss in the onions, carrots and bay leaves.
3. Blend tomato paste into broth then pour over meat and vegetables.
4. Pour crushed tomatoes and red wine on top. Liquid should cover meat and most of the vegetables.
5. Cover and bake until the meat is very tender, 3 to 3 ½ hours.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 480; Fat: 22g; Cholesterol: 150mg; Sodium: 720mg; Total Carbohydrates: 16g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugars: 8g; Protein: 49g.
Download your FREE ebook, The Power of Hope: 7 Inspirational Stories of People Rediscovering Faith, Hope and Love.