Get Well with the Bible
Get Well with the Bible
Scripture and tips to help you feel better and stay well.
Chances are you—or someone you love—has been sick lately. Perhaps you’re not feeling well this very moment. Sickness and disease are part of life here on earth. And it’s easy to start feeling like a victim, as though there’s nothing you can do. But that’s not true!
The Bible tells us, in 2 Timothy 1:7, “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.” So use your self-discipline to take care of your body. Be sure you get enough sleep. Eat foods that promote health. Exercise.
Don’t underestimate the power of your mind in promoting wellness. Think health, pray health, talk health, believe health, praise God for health and healing. Always take a positive view of yourself as healthy, vital, vigorous; believe the power of the healing God is working in you. “He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak…those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint” (Isaiah 40:29, 31).
Several times a day, offer up a prayer of affirmation, reaching out to God for his healing and strength. “Praise the LORD, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases” (Psalm 103:2-3). A short prayer statement can be helpful, because it can be quickly called to mind. Choose one such as: “The life of God within me renews and heals my body," or, "I am restored by the healing life of God flowing in and through my body." Speaking positive words and affirmations helps you to center your thoughts in God, not on the latest “germ scare” filling the media.
When those inevitable times of sickness do come, use these powerful healing words from God’s Word. Read and reread these vitality-producing Scripture passages, allowing each to seep into your conscious mind and from there into the deep unconscious, releasing within yourself an amazing healing force.
- "Why am I so sad? Why am I so upset? I should put my hope in God and keep praising him, my Savior and my God” (Psalm 43:5).
- “The LORD replied, ‘My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest’” (Exodus 33:14).
- “The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms” (Deuteronomy 33:27).
- “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you” (Psalm 56:3).
- “I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly” (John 10:10).
- “Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you” (1 Peter 5:7).